Tuesday 24 January 2017

It Ain't Me

2 Corinthians 4:7-9, 13

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed... Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak.


I had been doing my reading elsewhere in the Bible and hadn't really read Our Daily Bread for a while. In our recent circumstances I needed something more structured and went to the online format. I am amazed at how relevant the devotionals have been to our situation, as if they had been written for us. And not just one, either, but several. Why should I be amazed? Why wouldn't the same God who arranged to meet my every physical need also arrange to meet my spiritual needs in this trial? Is preplanning this, 3-6 months prior, too difficult for Him? I say that I know God loves me; do I really believe He loves me enough to look after these details for me?

Anyway, the devotional was based on the passage above. I posted the following on Facebook:

As we have walked our journey of grief and loss, many have commented on the "strength of my character" or "the strength of my faith" getting me through. I appreciate the sentiment, but it is not the strength of our faith that has gotten us through this so far. Rather it is the strength of the One in whom we have PLACED our faith that has gotten us through this. He has done it, not me. I have seen the truth of it shine crystal clear in these last couple of weeks, not to mention the years before and based on the evidence, "I have believed, and therefore I will speak" of the One who deserves the credit: Jesus Christ my Lord.

That's really it. I can't do this on my own; I don't have it in me. I'm not Superman, I'm not some kind of hero or giant. I am just a clay jar, with quite a few cracks, I might add! (In fact, I'm sure there are some who would use the term "crackpot" to describe me ...☺) The source of my strength is His love and power sustaining me. It's all of Him, and I'm not afraid to proclaim it.  Readers, He is SO trustworthy! He calls you to place your trust in Him, for everything! My ultimate goal in writing this blog is not for you to see what I can do in Him; it's to see what He has done in my life, and can do in yours! Email me if you want more clarification on this; it would bring me great joy.

3 comments:

  1. Mike, you don't know me, but my family has been blessed by you. Praise be to God for His provision of strength and hope in your life. All glory and honour be to Him, as you proclaim His goodness! Thank you for sponsoring the Impact group at our kids' school-I know you are a beacon of light there. May God continue to use you for His glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know you! I brought a meal to your house once! And I know you through your great kids, Mitchell and Jessica. Praying for you and your husband as you go through your trials as well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete